Sunday, December 6, 2009

Africa Post Number Five

The last stop on my journey through Southern Africa was into the landlocked country of Lesotho. Nicknamed the, "Kingdom of the Sky," the landscape reminded me of the Eastern Oregon high desert around John Day. The whole country is above 1,000 m (3,000 feet +) and some of the mountain passes we climbed with the car (and bicycle!) were above 8,500 feet.

The main goal of going to Lesotho was to fish for trout in the mountain rivers and steams flowing from the endless mountains. This place should be a canyoneering or kayaking mecca because of all of the small water sources, I'm not sure when tourism will take off in Lesotho but someday it will. To put things in perspective Pieter and I took about a two hour long bike ride on one of the main highways and literally passed by 12 cars the entire time.

Fishing in the small streams was a blast. I can't say I ever caught anything substantial, but given more time and a few more days to walk these gin clear waters and I'm sure you would spot some nice fish. Although the fish are not native to the steams and were introduced by missionaries around 1910, there is no restocking program and the fish have flourished for quite some time. I snapped a few photos or the fish to highlight their color and some of the surrounding scenery for your enjoyment.
Small waterfall alongside the road... the springs feeding these small steams were pumping with water...

The New Oxbow lodge... your skiing and fishing destination in Lesotho!

Ready for action! Pieter let me borrow a 4 weight which was perfect for these fish...

Pieter working the river...

Wild fish! Note the birds nest developing... (warning: objects in photo are smaller than they appear)

Pieter and I got caught in a downpour... I was under a rock for cover... Pieter on the rock saying, "bring it on"

The river goes like this for one hundred or so miles... finally it dumps into a large reservoir, but can you imagine kayaking down this? You could catch a thousand fish...

Typical sized fish for the waters we were fishing...

1 comment:

  1. Where's your wadding belts! :)
    Super jealous of the trip and a small fish is better than no fish.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...